Wednesday 15 May 2013

No climbing, no gym, no nothing!

As the title says I've not been up to much lately. Just working, working and working some more!

I did manage to get a session down at MCC last week, the first one in a long time, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I was probably climbing about the same grade (bouldering) as I was 6 months ago. Flashed most of the problems in the V2-V4 range and even manged to flash a few from from the V4-V6 problems.  It was a nice surprise and certainly not expected. One thing it highlights is that my training, probably more specifically my diet, really wasn't helping with my climbing, but I've spoken about that. As the weather is utter rubbish at the moment climbing really isn't on the cards, outdoor at least. I might head down to rockover this week and see what's what. Although my fingers might be weak(er) overall I feel  fair bit strong (or more stable at least) so it would be interesting to see. Might see if I can't get a routing session in at the weekend and check my stamina. I expect my route fitness is non existent!

The gym has been off the cards as I currently am without transport. The car is playing up (electrical fault of some description) and the bike I was using is out of action.  It wasn't my bike and I had it on long term lone from Andy, which I very much appreciate!! He's asked for it back so I've stopped using it and plan on giving it a full service so it's in tip top condition when he gets it back.  I'm waiting on some parts and tools to turn up and then I can get it done.

This left me with a minor dilemma; what do I do about transport? Well I've always had a bike since the ripe old rage of 11 when I had my first BMX.  There was a small part of me that wanted a BMX again but they are less than practical!

I've got an old mountain bike frame which would make a good starting point for a single speed cruiser, so that's what I plan on doing.  Once these tools turn up it can be stripped and the various parts that need adding/replacing can go on and it should be good to go!

This will be the bare minimum to get it road going but I plan to slowly build it up etc. I've added a page to blog which will detail the various stages and should hopefully serve as a guide to anyone who wants to do the same thing.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh cool that you'll be building your own. Exciting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't built a bike since I was about 18 so should be a blast from the past. Just waiting on parts and I'll be good to go. Check back soon for a post ;-)

      Delete