Tuesday 28 August 2012

Climbing Sucks...at the moment!

Went to holyhead mountain at the weekend and got spanked! I climbed some S on the left hand side of the crag and was totally uninspired. So thought I would have a go at King Bee Crack, a classic HVS.

I got about half way, came off boxed and just couldn't be bothered with evening trying it from there. I lowered down and thought I'd go again. The climbing wasn't that hard, sustained but still HVS. I just couldn't be bothered. Psyche is at an all time low!  Thinking about why this might be has lead me to ask why my mindset has changed from the start of the year - feeling confident - to now.

With such a crappy weather this summer, whenever it's good I've 'had' to get out. This requirement has turned climbing into a chore again. It's not fun and I've started to place an outcome on day. e.g. if I don't lead at least 1 HVS it's been a waste of a day.

I've also stopped training which has left me feeling weak and unfit.  I'm not sure if this is actually the case, it must have some effect but not sure if it's as big as I'm making out. And falling, I just won't at the moment.  All in all my head is in an awful place. So it's time to have a break from climbing, this is probably only a few days where the weather is good and I don't go out climbing to get the desire to go and and just climb for fun - not just because the weather is good.

I also want to get fit! With winter approaching (seems a long way off but it will be here sooner than I think) I want to feel at fit as possible.  I've been reading Mark Twight's book Extreme Alpinism and it's got me psyched for training and getting seriously fit!  So I'm going to join the gym again and start weight training to work on some aspects of my physique which are causing me problems. I'll also be training at the wall. The final update is that I'm moving my blog to here. So check back for updates if your interested.

Fingers crossed normal service will resume soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment